Final Night aboard USS Midway a great party!
The Final Night Celebration was aboard the USS Midway. Just to give you an idea of the size of the ship, here are a few USS Midway facts:
- 1001 feet in length – its a long way from one end to the other.
- 237 feet in width – its a long way across too!
- 4,500 crew were aboard when it was active and 225,000 Midway sailors have served aboard the ship.
- 65 planes could fit on the flight deck.
- It was in service for an unprecedented 47 years.
- Midway weighed 45,000 tons in1945 and 74,000 tons when it was decommissioned in 1972.
The Midway opened as a museum in San Diego in 2004. As the Final Night Celebration destination, Amway IBOs had 3 hours of non-stop entertainment, food, dancing, and fireworks. IBOs were able to participate in tours of the ship that offered a glimpse into the life of the sailors that served to uphold the American ideals of strength, freedom, and peace. Flight simulators were a big hit and many enjoyed seeing the inside of the retired aircraft that are currently on the flight deck.
So much fun was had that the time flew by and for most, it seemed like they had just arrived when the fireworks display started signaling the close of Achievers ’10.
Wayne Clauson from Alberta, Canada shared his thoughts about Achievers ’10. “I’ve been coming for many years and didn’t know it could get any better, but it did!”
More from Achievers ’10: